Friday, April 13, 2012

How To Cope With Your Own Depression

I'm sharing information here that I have found useful and which I have culled from readings and learnings my classmates and myself discovered during college (I was a Psychology major). We would be required to digest long treatises on what makes up the psychology behind topics and issues in life. As such, I have applied what's nifty from these learnings largely to my bouts of depression. I have culled, too, those lessons from engaging with individuals who want to listen and seek advise on depression from me.

Also, in the kind of part-time jobs I do, I happened to be dealing with people who have the predilection to get depressed because of their other health concerns. In my case, I've noticed I get depressed most especially during the cold months. I'll be experiencing extended stretches of sadness every now and then when everything seems gloomy, meaningless and purposeless. Most people would get surprised hearing that I get depressed periodically; I always have an easy smile on my face and I love to laugh aloud. But I've learned in time, the hard way, the value of admitting the sadness that I experience (the periods of which get sustained for some unknown reason or another), which is a critical step in facing depression bravely and strongly. Depression's an affliction that can happen to anyone. As a result, I've learned to be so keen on the nature of depression, a topic, apparently, most people ran away from than being openly upbeat or honestly courageous about it.

1) I've learned to observe myself more closely when the dark clouds of depression come into play on the surface of my daily consciousness.

In my case, I'd be eating and taking lots of dark chocolates and other comfort foods. I'd eat food without let-up in a matter of minutes. As such, I know that the onset of depression will be forthcoming or is now taking place again. I'd start on keeping tab on these foods that I'd usually eat more than usual.

2) I'd usually talk these observations on myself out with people who have health and medical backgrounds, and are currently practicing, i.e., nurses, doctors, or therapists (or practitioners who may have lesser tendencies to judge immediately my depression.

I narrate to them in a forthright manner what has been happening to me. Fortunately, in the part-time jobs that I do, I get the chance to relate regularly with people of these backgrounds. Most of them would be most willing and open to extend help. But because they're pressed for time due to heavy workload, I could only get snatches of tips from them for now. And we continue until the next time that I catch up with them.

3) I actively keep away from most people whom I feel are depressed themselves or are a bit sad.

But I can't be doing this whenever I meet with clients whom I work with when I do some of my part-time jobs (it has to be a professional relationship that I have to maintain with them). As to others in my circle who are depressed themselves, I've observed there's really not much value in meeting up regularly or spending longer time with people who may be trying or saying they'd like to help, which happens oddly when I open up to friends and acquaintances on my depression. Most tend to just dismiss what they hear from me, which case does not happen often if I talk with a person who does not know me as much. Friends, including relatives actually mean well but they're usually not properly trained to deal with depression. At worst, some of them are depressed themselves. They can't help but engage in denial or projection, coping mechanisms that I observe most regularly. And finding myself in such situations with people I know just complicates my emotional situation. I see that this is difficult to accept by some. And the more I realize I need professional help for my depression.

4) I keep a journal and I write down in a stream-of-consciousness fashion any ideas, thoughts, analysis I have daily as long as my schedule provides for the time to do so.

Preferably, I do this immediately after I get up from bed. I just write down anything that comes out of my mind. If there's nothing to jot down, I just draw objects or anything that fancies my mind at that moment. I review the writings once in a while. The ghosts of depression are gone after some time as I don't even remember most of them being around by the next time. The journal has helped a lot in unloading whatever baggage of emotions I have carried for many years.

5) I've simply kept away from using prescription medicines.

They just exacerbate the situation. They're designed to help build up the profits of that section of the health industry. I've not used medicines to fight depression. I've found out that the most effective approach in my depression is a combination of therapies that use long hours of accumulated time spent on analyzing and talking, preferably with people who have the training. These modes of treatment are actually very expensive and time consuming, hence most health professionals can't help but prescribe medicines to those seeking help to cope with depression. But keep in mind, though, about another school of thought on the use of medicines. Some people who are depressed may have been brought about by imbalances of chemicals in their bodies. They may need some medication that have to be prescribed by licensed medical practitioners.

6) It's effective to get involved in forming and building your own support group.

Learn to set and be firm with your boundaries with the members of this support group. The members who make up this support group are not exactly friends the way we hold sentimental notions on our friends. In a support group of this type, you'll meet people you've met recently. They act as coaches, mentors or positive role models themselves. Ideally, these are people who have struggled, accepted with honestly, and have been successful in managing their own cases of depression with the help of some other individuals, too. It's great to be with people who have learned to admit and overcome their own depression and may thus be willing to help from others.

7) It's hugely helpful to get active and pay more time and interest in spiritual activities that allow you to understand and be clarified the philosophy behind each activity.

These may actually look like religious activities on the surface, for most people who frown down and with suspicious thoughts on being active with groups who are into religious activities. The most convenient way to do this is get into church activities (in my case, I show up and participate regularly in a Friday evening prayer meeting, and listen to masses on Sundays), as you hit two birds with a stone, i.e., a support group, and a group to engage activities with that you find interesting, too. Some may find it more comforting to do something similar, like doing yoga or engaging in a variety of physical exercises (remember, "fitness is religion" as rock star Madonna must have said it once), or pursuing a sport (if your body allows it) or some group of activities that tend to put more emphasis on methodical processes (dancing, learning to play a musical instrument, engaging in outdoor sports, swimming, etc).

Some techniques you may find useful to get yourself freed from depression may call for more extensive studies about your individual case. Decide now to help yourself and the kind of help you seek will come into fore.

No comments:

Post a Comment