Saturday, April 7, 2012

Empowering Yourself With Knowledge For The Battle Against Depression

To be honest I used to think depression was a health condition people used as an excuse not to snap back into life. It wasn't until I was faced with the battle against depression that I became a true believer in this mental illness. I knew that if I ever wanted to get my life back, I had to learn how to battle depression effectively.

The first step was admitting that what I was feeling was real, and chances were this battle wouldn't end overnight. I knew this condition was not uncommon but there was many different types and levels of depression. It was helpful for the physicians treating me to know when my symptoms began, and recent events that had taken place in my life.

At the time I was grieving the loss of my grandfather who had raised me as his own. Doctors were able to determine that the cause of my depression was induced by this traumatic event. It also helped me realize the true devastation my grandfather's death had on my life.

The first and most important step I made was reaching out to doctors I trust to treat my depression. The thought of taking medication for this illness was out of the question for me at first, but after a long talk with my physician she assured me that she would never put my health at risk. This was the same physician who refused to prescribe me a particular birth control, because she didn't believe it was safe. Although there are many theories about what causes depression, nothing has clearly been proven.

Some theories include genetics and family mental health history, and others involve changes in brain functionality and structures. Some books on depression documented the affects an individuals attitude can have on the development of depression. An important part of understanding how to battle depression is educating yourself on this mental illness. Coping with depression can be very difficult especially for someone who has trouble sharing themselves with others.

Physical changes that develop as a result of a severe medical condition is also a reported cause of depression for example, Cancer, Diabetes, or Parkinson's disease. Extreme changes in weight and appearance can cause negative feelings and pessimistic behavior. Learning how to battle depression is also about better understanding yourself and how you cope with obstacles in your life. Psychotherapy is usually a recommended part of treatment because of the impact your mind and thought process can have on your mental health.

No comments:

Post a Comment