Thursday, March 22, 2012

Quick Ways to Help With Depression

The failure to cope with traumatic or difficult events in your life can definitely lead to depression. Not only does avoiding to deal with things change the fact that they exist, it is likely to make the situation worse. It is important to understand this when trying to learn how to battle depression.

Remain active in the things that give your life purpose, in my case it was something I found difficult to explain to anyone. My job allowed me to reach out and help others, but when my doctor took me off of work I took a turn for the worse. This illness is not a common cold, chances are it will not be cured overnight. It's something that you have to be willing to conquer everyday, identifying and utilizing healthy coping mechanisms will be vital in learning how to battle depression.

It is always helpful to have faith in something and something to look forward to. Spirituality can be extremely powerful when it comes to coping, this can be the what sustains you in this battle. Documenting goals create hope and will likely give purpose to trying. Surround yourself with positive people, it will heighten your mood. Having someone in your circle to reach out to on those days you need encouragement the most will make all the difference. This person will be a constant reminder that you have people that care about you and your well-being.

Physical activity is a quick way to battle depression and it is extremely important, without being physically active our energy levels remain low. This doesn't mean you have to run a mile every day, but something as simple as a walk a few times a week can make a huge difference. Some people believe that depression is a normal part of the aging process, and studies show elderly people struggle with this illness most. However I don't find anything about depression normal, it isn't and unnecessary and life altering sickness.

I'm not a doctor but I am a survivor, and there is no teacher like experience. When I first began seeing a counselor I was fortunate enough to have someone who truly cared about me as a person. This fueled her great effort towards establishing a non-medicated treatment plan for me. She learned that I was an ex-athlete and an avid writer, she chose to take these two things and make them the focus of my at home treatment.

The counselor documented everything specifically short-term and long-term goals, and showed them to me later as an example of my true worth and ability to apply myself. Without this specific form of treatment I believe my battle with depression would've been loss. When I reached out for professional help I was aware that I had issues, but I didn't realize how serious they were. I truly believe this psychologist saved me from myself, the fight honestly starts with your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment