Monday, March 5, 2012

What's Your Beef With Beef?

Have you ever gotten so sick that you would try anything to get better? I have. In fact, that is what led me on a journey to learn the healing powers of food. To clarify, the healing powers of the right foods.

I have fought depression and anxiety on and off for 9 years. My doctor told me that I would never be off of medication and, while I found this depressing, I thought this was my new way of life and that I needed to accept it. There were some things that I could not accept, however. I could not get used to the low energy, the need to crash at least once a week and sleep for 12 hours or more and the ongoing struggle to lose weight. But hey, at least I'm alive, right?

I think we have forgotten what living really is. Maybe I just never knew before. So when I crashed a few months ago, and didn't recover, I was willing to check into other options.

I went to a wellness doctor. This doctor focused on what was causing the problems and what we could do to fix it. He explained that we were designed to heal, not just cover up symptoms with one medication after another. What a fantastic concept!

One of the first things we focused on was my diet. I had been trying to "diet" for a year (with few results, mind you). In doing this, I had cut out some of the most important sources of vitamins and protein!

He told me he wanted me to eat more beef. I think my jaw hit the ground! Been was bad for you, right? I substituted turkey meat for beef in everything. I even convinced myself it was just as good! The doctor looked at me and said something I will never forget, "Fat does not make you fat".

I have learned the importance of beef in my diet by experience. I think that much of the confusion surrounding beef is misunderstood. The source of the beef is what is truly important. Conventional beef is fed grain laced with hormones and antibiotics (among other things). The cows live in horrible conditions which effects the quality of what we are eating. Grass fed, free range beef is what we need.

With the right kind of beef, these are some of the benefits your body could be getting:

1. An excellent source of protein which boosts your energy and is essential to the function of our organs and hormones.
2. Omega 3 acids which help balance the nervous system, support heart health, and help brain function.

There are too many other benefits to mention. Go eat some beef, but not from a drive through! Good quality, grass fed beef is essential in your diet!

No comments:

Post a Comment