Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Supplements For Depression

Here are a list of herbs and supplements I have found that have helped me, I would recommend them, but keep in mind that they could effect everyone in different ways. You can get this stuff at any Target or Walgreens.

Omega-3 Fish oils- A natural mood booster, and great for the hair and skin.

Amino Acid L-Lysine- Studies have shown that this amino acid stimulates the production of creatine, which is responsible for converting fatty acids into energy, helps rebuild cells, and L-Lysine deficiency is linked to depression and food cravings.

Vitamin A, Vitamin D, and Vitamin B complex- are vitamins that benefit the body overall, Vitamin d deficiency is also linked to depression.

Calcium supplements- and having enough calcium in the diet in general, I have found really helps ward of cravings for sugar and carbohydrates, and a glass of milk with every meal helps me feel fuller faster.

St. John's Wort- I have been taking St John's wort regularly for a year now, and I have noticed a huge difference in my mood, and ability to cope with stress and keep a positive attitude. Looking back, a year ago, I was very moody and depressed quite often. Nothing has significantly changed in my life as opposed to last year, so I think it's safe to say that perhaps St John's Wort has had a significant effect on me.

Yerba mate (comes in tea or capsules) - I buy Yerba Mate tea in the tea & coffee section of Target. I drink it in the morning in place of coffee and noticed it gives me a lot of energy, but also consistent energy, I don't get the caffeine crash in the afternoon that I was used to having when I was drinking coffee & sugar. I definitely recommend this one.

Dandelion Root (comes in capsules or tea) - Another natural herb that helps ward of depression.

Green Tea - This is a no brainer, it speeds up metabolism, fights off cancer, improves mood and energy, and is an overall health benefit.

I am not a doctor or a nutritionist, I am just someone that has consistently taken these supplements over long periods of time. I would recommend these to anyone, but be sure to research the product and/or check with a healthcare professional if you have any questions or concerns. Any one of these supplements or combination of them work well, but I would also recommend using them with a diet of low or no sugar and starches to feel the full effects because white flourin your diet prevent your digestive tract from absorbing these nutrients. Here is a video that thoroughly explains the effects of white flour on the body:

http://www.ehow.com/video_5190183_effects-white-flour-body.html

No comments:

Post a Comment