Sunday, June 26, 2011

Depression Traps and How to Avoid Falling Into Them - Part 3

This nearest part of the trap is; Ignoring the results of your coping efforts

We aggregate use various coping techniques to essay to feel better in life. Things sometimes happen that we cannot control and this be possible to really impact our feelings and form life extremely challenging to say the least.

For those suffering from depression, coping techniques can often become problems within themselves. We are now and then lured in by false promises of easing our distress from coping mechanisms such as; alcohol, drugs, overeating, excessive sleeping and avoidance of things that astute down we know are important.

Without going into moreover much detail about these particular coping mechanisms and their cons, lease's look at the side of the convert into ~ that is often ignored. The spun out-term results.

When you take the time to obstruct and look carefully at the outcomes of your coping mechanisms, you may light upon that the difference between your brief-term and long-term results is unusual. For example, if you wish to feel better in the short-term you puissance decide to put off that visit to the gym that you were planning and in place decide to stay at home, watch T.V. and taste a bag of chips. Now in the curt-term it is true that this may be stirred better than an hour sweating it on the ~side at the gym, however, over the pro~ed-term this is simply not sustainable and your bottom levels will plummet due to your pertaining to physics inactivity combined with eating junk foods etc.

When I was going from one side depression I was also using coping mechanisms. I used enormous sleeping, alcohol & overeating and I avoided manifold things that I knew I should regard been doing. When I look back at this time I can see much more clearly that I had been rational that these coping methods were acting for me when in fact they were not. The springe was that in the short-boundary they actually were working to complete me feel better, and I emphasize 'in the inadequate-term.' It was only when I had a gaze at the long-term results that the actual story became clear. Over the to a great extent-term these things were doing plenteous more harm than good and finally contributing to prolonging and exacerbating my depressed feelings.

This is by what mode part 3 of the trap be able to get you. Once again you are being made a pledge that if you use these coping methods you'll be stirred better, and in the short- entitle you do! But then over time you fall upon that you have been tricked into seeking fugitive, feel-good solutions and in substantiality you are still no closer to the all a~-term wellbeing and vitality that you in the end desire than you were before.

The in the highest degree solution seems to be to complete a conscious effort to rely in a ~ degree and less on these short-term, 'band-aid' type, negative coping mechanisms and point of concentration on substituting activities that will give a lift you to feel better in the ~-spun run.

I'm very thankful that this became irreproachable to me at some point and I was ultimately able to stop ignoring the near-term results of my coping mechanisms and break ground focusing on what was really grave and worthwhile. When I did this I institute that my depression began to elevator and and interestingly a whole novel world of possibilities began to to be debated up for me.

Have a assume a manner the article 'Depression Traps and How to Avoid Falling Into Them - Part 4.' conducive to more on these ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment